St Nicholas Collegiate Church Galway

School

The Church of Ireland School of the parish of St. Nicholas or St. Nicholas Parochial School has been in existence on its current site since the closure of the Galway Model School at Shantalla in 1926. It was in that year that the pupils moved to the Buckland Building which had been leased in 1892 from the Governors of the Eranmus Smith Schools by a group of trustees which include the Reverend Fleetwood Berry, Rector of St. Nicholas Collegiate Church. The first Headmistress of the Parochial School was succeeded by Miss Aitken in 1931.

Miss Aitken continued to teach here until her retirement in 1960 by which time she had been in charge of the school for 29 years. Pupils who attended the school at that time remember the large, cold classroom which was heated by a turf burning stove. A photograph of the old Georgian Buckland Buildings hangs in the corridor of the present school together with one of the building which replaced it following its demolition in 1964. At that time there were only fourteen children on the school roll and it was felt that a single classroom would be adequate for the needs of all of those who wished to attend.

On 28th September 1965 the new school was officially opened by a representative of the Department of Education. In 1985 the school was refurbished and extended to provide four classrooms and cater for the needs of growing numbers. New PVC windows were fitted in the building at Easter 2002. We now have four teachers and there are 103 pupils on the roll at the beginning of the 2004/2005 school year. The majority of our sixth class pupils now transfer to local secondary schools although some still go to board at Sligo Grammar, Villiers in Limerick, the King’s Hospital in Dublin

For more information, see also: www.stnicholasparochialschool.com or contact: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .